In Victoria, you can register a domestic relationship between two adults who are a couple if:

  • You're both at least 18 years old
  • One party lives in Victoria
  • You're not married, in a relationship that's already registered in Victoria, or in another relationship that could be registered
  • You provide domestic support to each other
  • You're committed to each other both personally and financially.

You can apply for a relationship certificate when you apply to register the relationship or at any later date.

The law requires a 28 day cooling off period when registering a domestic relationship. Due to this, it takes at least 28 calendar days from the date we receive a complete and valid application to register the relationship.

Relationship ceremonies

When registering a domestic relationship in Victoria, you can choose to celebrate it with a ceremony at the Old Treasury Building in Melbourne. See Book your relationship ceremony for more details.

Ceremonies can take place on weekdays or weekends. 

Find out more about Relationship ceremony fees.

Book your relationship ceremony

Withdraw an application 

You can withdraw your application to register a domestic relationship by logging in to My items (External link)

Immigration and registered relationships

For information about registering your relationship for immigration purposes, contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (External link).

What you'll need to do

1. Details of the relationship

Both parties need to participate in registering a relationship. Partner 1 will complete their part, then we will email partner 2 to complete their part.

2. Proof of your identity

To register your relationship, both parties must prove their identity.

Acceptable documents

One of the easiest ways to prove your identity is by presenting your driver licence (if it confirms your residential address) and your passport.

Example driver licenceExample passport

Alternatively, you can provide your driver licence, Medicare card and bank card.

Example driver licenceExample Medicare cardExample bank card

Alternatively, there are other ways to prove your identity.

3. Proof of residence in Victoria

One of you must provide evidence that you live in Victoria – for example, a bank statement showing recent transactions in Victoria (refer to Uploading hard copy documents online). This person should be ‘Partner 1’ when filling in the application.

Processing and delivery

How long will it take for my certificate to be processed?

Processing start date Processing time Pick up/delivery
Date received

Full application
with eligibility and
proof of identity documents

20 business days Pickup
595 Collins Street


6 days
Australia post

Track the progress of your certificate (External link)


Fees and payment


A non-refundable registration fee of $228.10 applies. This fee doesn't include a certificate.

Certificate fees

Standard certificate Commemorative certificate
$33.80 $60.00
Accepted as an official Australian relationship certificate. Not accepted as an official Australian relationship certificate.

For decorative purposes only.

Postage fees

Shipping fees cannot be refunded if you decide to collect your certificate(s) in person.

Postage - see Australia Post (External link) for product details Price



Registered post (recommended)

Not available for commemorative certificates.


Standard post/handling

  • All commemorative certificates are sent by standard post

Click to collect

  • Pick up from our customer service centre
  • Not available for commemorative certificates

Express post

  • Not available for commemorative certificates
  • This is not a priority service fee - standard Turnaround times still apply.

Outside Australia

Airmail (Standard post) $3.80
Express Courier International $54.10

Ceremony fees



Thomas Hyde room
(up to 8 guests)


Margaret Craig room
(up to 55 guests)


Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - 10:00 am to 4:30pm

(Some Tuesdays may be available. Please check availability by emailing (External link))

$100.00 $205.00


Friday - 9:30am to 4:30pm

Saturday and Sunday - 9:30am to 5pm

$170.00 $275.00

Check the Payment methods we accept.

Recognised Relationships

Recognised relationships

From 1 July 2016, relationships formalised in the following jurisdictions (for example, a civil partnership) will be recognised for the purposes of the Relationships Act 2008 as a ‘registered domestic relationship’:

  • Australian Capital Territory
  • New South Wales
  • Queensland
  • Tasmania
  • New Zealand
  • Canada, including Quebec and Nova Scotia
  • Hawaii
  • California
  • New York
  • South Africa
  • the Netherlands
  • the United Kingdom
  • Scotland.

Relationships formalised in other jurisdictions that are not on this list are still considered to be a ‘registered domestic relationship’ under the Relationships Act 2008, if the other jurisdiction’s law provides that the relationship:

  • Must be between two adults who entered into the relationship consensually and are not related by family; and 
  • Must not include a person who is already married or in a relationship formally recognised by that law.

You do not need to register a relationship in Victoria if you have already formalised a relationship in another Australian state or territory or overseas.