Victoria has declared a State of Emergency due to coronavirus (COVID-19).
Our customer service and call centres are closed until further notice.
You can still apply online for certificates and registrations. Check our certificate turnaround times for how long it will take.
We are prioritising critical certificate or registration requests. For critical needs only:
- Apply online, then
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your reference number and reason(s) why it is critical.
For information about COVID-19, visit the DHHS website
To register a domestic relationship:
You both need to take part in registering the relationship
You both need to prove your identity
One of you will need to provide evidence you live in Victoria.
You can apply to register a domestic relationship in Victoria if you are a couple and:
- You're both at least 18 years old
- At least one of you lives in Victoria
- You're not already:
- In a registered relationship, or
- In another relationship that could be registered
- You provide domestic support to each other
- You're committed to each other both personally and financially.
It takes at least 28 days (4 weeks) from the date we receive a complete and valid application to register a relationship. To learn more, select the ‘Timeframes and delivery’ tab, below.
You can apply for a relationship certificate when you apply to register the relationship or at any later date.
Immigration and registered relationships
For information about registering your relationship for immigration purposes, contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection .