1. Details of the relationship
Both of you need to take part in registering the relationship:
- Partner 1 completes their part of the application
- We email Partner 2
- Partner 2 completes their part.
You can only complete your own section.
2. Proof of your identity
Both of you must prove your identity.
The easiest way to prove your identity is with your driver licence (if it confirms your residential address) and your passport.
You can provide equivalents, such as a foreign driver licence or foreign birth certificate.
Learn more about what you’ll need to do if your documents aren’t in English.
Other documents to prove your identity
If you don’t have a driver licence and passport, provide three documents from List 1 to List 4 below.
The documents must be:
- Each from a different list. (For example: Australian driver licence, Medicare card and recent bank statement).
- Certified by an authorised person. Check the rules about certifying documents
- Current or dated within the last 12 months.
Acceptable documents for proving identity
|List number and type
Government issued (with photo)
- Driver licence or learner permit
- ImmiCard (Immigration Card)
Evidence of your involvement in the community (with photo)
- Firearm licence
- Foreign passport
- Security guard/crowd control licence
- Tertiary education institution ID card (with photo)
- Working with Children Check card
Government issued (no photo)
- Birth certificate
- Change of name certificate
- Citizenship certificate
- Medicare card
- Visa verification (printed visa status from VEVO)
Evidence of your involvement in the community (no photo)
- Centrelink card:
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Health Care Card
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
- Bank statement
- Rates notice
- Rental agreement
- Superannuation fund statement
- Utility account (gas, water, electricity or home phone)
Learn how to prove your identity.
3. Proof of living in Victoria
One of you must prove that you live in Victoria at the time of applying.
Documents can include:
- Bank statement showing:
- Address in Victoria, and
- Recent transactions in Victoria
- Confirmation of enrolment in a Victorian tertiary education institution
- Rental agreement (joint name may be acceptable) for an address in Victoria
- Utility account (gas, water, electricity or home phone) with address in Victoria.
Document must be current or dated within the last 12 months.
4. Evidence of single status (if applicable)
If either of you has been married or in a registered relationship before, you must provide evidence that it has ended.
For example, this might include:
- Divorce certificate
- Certificate of revocation of a registered relationship
- Death certificate of your former partner.
If your partner passed away in Victoria, you don't need to provide a copy of the death certificate.
Learn more about how to digitise and upload hard copy documents.
When you apply, please take care to provide correct details.
Enter details exactly as they appear on your identity documents. This includes spelling and capitalisation (e.g. Name).
Remember to review the sections before you submit.