In Victoria, you can register a domestic relationship between two adults who are a couple if:
- You're both at least 18 years old
- One party lives in Victoria
- You're not married, in a relationship that's already registered in Victoria, or in another relationship that could be registered
- You provide domestic support to each other
- You're committed to each other both personally and financially.
You can apply for a relationship certificate when you apply to register the relationship or at any later date.
The law requires a 28 day cooling off period when registering a domestic relationship. Due to this, it takes at least 28 calendar days from the date we receive a complete and valid application to register the relationship.
When registering a domestic relationship in Victoria, you can choose to celebrate it with a ceremony at the Old Treasury Building in Melbourne. See Book your relationship ceremony for more details.
Ceremonies can take place on weekdays or weekends.
Find out more about Relationship ceremony fees.
Withdraw an application
You can withdraw your application to register a domestic relationship by logging in to My items .
Immigration and registered relationships
For information about registering your relationship for immigration purposes, contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection .