Victoria has declared a State of Emergency due to coronavirus (COVID-19).
Our customer service and call centres are closed until further notice.
You can still apply online for certificates and registrations. Check our certificate turnaround times for how long it will take.
We are prioritising critical certificate or registration requests. For critical needs only:
- Apply online, then
- Email email@example.com with your reference number and reason(s) why it is critical.
For information about COVID-19, visit the DHHS website
You can apply to change your recorded sex if you:
- Were born in Victoria or can show that you have lived in Victoria for at least 12 months.
- Have undergone sex affirmation surgery. The law currently defines this as follows:
"Sex affirmation surgery means a surgical procedure involving the alteration of a person's reproductive organs carried out for the purpose of assisting the person to be considered to be a member of the opposite sex."
The Victorian Parliament has passed changes to the law. The changes will commence on 1 May 2020.
These changes will make it easier for people in Victoria to change the sex on their birth certificate. The changes include:
- Applicants will not need to have sex affirmation surgery
- Applicants will be able to nominate a sex descriptor of their choice
- Parents will be able to apply to alter the sex on their child's birth certificate.
Trans and gender diverse people are helping BDM make the changes. This includes advising on the new application process and forms.
Looking for a certificate? Go to the Certificate of change of sex section below.