The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDM):
- Registers and records life events such as births, marriages, deaths, relationships and changes of name
- Keeps these records in perpetuity for the Victorian, and wider Australian, community
- Provides vital population and health statistical information to state and federal government (including the Australian Bureau of Statistics) to inform decision-making
- Issues certificates to enable people to recognise and evidence their identity and commemorate their significant life events
- Provides civil marriage and relationship ceremonies, historical family history records, and other services to government and business.
Learn more about us.
Save time – apply online
Our services are all available online. The fastest way to apply for a certificate or registration is online. If you order a certificate, we’ll post it to you. Our main services are listed below.
Need a certificate urgently?
If you need a certificate urgently, you can apply and collect it on the spot at our Customer Service Centre. The details of the event must already be registered with us. Make sure you bring all your identity documents and any supporting evidence.
Our Customer Service Centre can be very busy. There may be long waits, especially between 11am and 3pm.
Our service listing
- Apply for a birth certificate. A birth certificate is proof of identity for many purposes
- Apply for marriage certificate. A marriage certificate is proof of your marriage
- Apply for a relationship certificate. You can use a relationship certificate for legal and other official purposes
- Apply for a death certificate if you need to do so. In most cases, you won't need to because the funeral director will do it for you
- We send you a change of name certificate when you change your name. If you need a replacement, please refer to change a name
- Read more about deed poll if you need a certificate of a change of name by deed poll.
Register a life event
The law provides for events such as birth of a child, death, marriage, relationship, change of name and change of sex to be registered. BDM refers to these as ‘life events’.
- You’ll need to register your child’s birth if you've recently given birth in Victoria
- You can register a domestic relationship between two adults who are a couple
- You may also revoke your registered relationship
- You can register a caring relationship between two adults who aren’t a couple
- You can apply to change your name or your child’s name if you were born in Victoria or overseas. If you were born interstate, apply to the Registry in that state or territory
- If you want to change your name due to marriage, separation or divorce, you might not need to do a formal change of name
- You can apply to change your record of sex.
Correct our records
If you believe a certificate has an error, such as a name, date, place of birth or occupation, you can apply online to:
- Correct a birth certificate
- Correct a change of name
- Correct a marriage certificate
- Correct a relationship certificate
- Correct a death certificate.
Get married at the Victorian Marriage Registry
Book your wedding ceremony with the Victorian Marriage Registry. The Victorian Marriage Registry conducts professional, inclusive marriage ceremonies.
Search historical records
Search our historical records. Birth, marriage and death records can provide unique insight into family history.
Services for businesses, professionals and government
Businesses and professionals can submit or request records of life events in Victoria. Learn more about our services for business, professionals and government.
Help using our online services
For an overview, watch the video below (subtitles included). You can also read the transcript.