- Contact an Adoption Information Service, and
- Have an interview with a counsellor
The adoption information service you choose will provide this interview.
The adoption information service will work with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDM) to assist with access to adoption information.
Adoption-related information includes:
- Information about the adopted person, their natural parents or relatives
- Records of adoptions.
Who BDM can help and how
- A natural parent can apply to BDM for their adopted child’s original (pre-adoptive) birth certificate.
Note the natural parent must be:
- Listed on the original birth certificate; or
- Within the definition of natural parent in the Adoption Act 1984.
- An adopted person over the age of 18 and adoptive parents can apply for information relating to their adoption.
Anyone seeking adoption information should contact an an Adoption Information Service.