We'll ask you for the following:
1. Your current details
At a minimum, we’ll ask you for:
- Personal details, such as name and date of birth
- A clear reason for the change of name
- Original (not copies) birth certificates. You will need to post these to us
- Credit history (if changing more than one name: for example, your first name and family name).
Agencies that we accept credit histories from include:
You can attach these to your online application.
- Any previous names you've been known by.
You might be using a different name in the community from what is on your birth record (before the change of name). If so, we may ask you to provide a statutory declaration to explain this.
2. Your chosen name
- Chosen family name(s)
- Chosen given name
- Chosen other given name(s).
Generally, we accept most names, but there are some names that aren’t allowed. See Naming restrictions.
3. Your original certificate
We ask you to return the original birth certificate before we can issue a new one.
If you don't have the original, you need to provide a statutory declaration (External link) explaining why. Learn more about how to digitise and upload documents.
4. Proof of your identity
You may be able to prove your identity online. If not, you can still prove your identity by mailing certified copies to us.
One of the easiest ways to prove your identity is by presenting your driver licence (if it confirms your residential address) and your Passport.
There are other ways to prove your identity.
If you send documents to us by mail, they must be certified copies.
- Don't send original identity documents by mail
- Don't send uncertified copies - we can't accept them.
Learn more about how to prove your identity.
Documents must be current (not expired). If you cannot provide current photo identification, please contact us.