What we need from you

In most cases, both parents on the birth certificate need to complete the application. When you apply:

If you can’t apply online, contact BDM and request a paper change of name form. 

We'll ask you for the following:

1. Your details

At minimum, we'll ask you for:

  • Your child's name, date of birth and place of birth
  • Your name and address
  • Name and address of the second parent (if applicable)
  • A clear reason for the change of name
  • Any previous names your child has been known by.

2. The chosen name

  • Chosen family name
  • Chosen given (first) name 
  • Chosen given (middle) name(s).

Generally, we accept most names that parents choose for their child. However, both parents need to agree on the name and there are some names that aren't allowed. 

See Naming your child.

3. The original certificate

We ask you to return your child’s birth certificate before we can issue a new one.

If you don't have the original, you need to provide a statutory declaration (External link) explaining why. Learn more about how to digitise and upload documents.

4. Proof of your identity

Acceptable documents

Both parents on the birth certificate need to prove their identity. One of the easiest ways to prove your identity is by presenting your driver licence (if it confirms your residential address) and your passport.

Learner permitPassport
Alternatively, you can provide your driver licence, Medicare card and bank card.

Learner permitMedicare card
There are other ways to prove your identity.

Documents must be current (not expired). If you cannot provide current photo identification, please contact us.

5. Proof of parentage

Your child’s Victorian birth certificate, naming you as a parent, is all you need. You need to send us the original, not a copy.

When both parents can't apply

Applications from one parent

We can accept applications from one parent in the following circumstances only:

Documents to provide if only one parent is applying
Circumstance What you need to provide
The child's birth certificate names only one parent  Your child’s original birth certificate
The other parent named on the child's birth certificate has died A certified copy of the death certificate
A court order, stating that your child's current name is to be changed to the new name, has been issued by:
  • The County Court of Victoria
  • The Family Court of Australia 
  • The Federal Circuit Court

A certified copy of the court order.

The court order must list the child’s old and new names.

The new names that you apply for must exactly match the new name(s) on the court order.

Learn more about uploading hard copy documents online.

A sole parentage order alone does not give you the right to change your child's name. Both parents still need to complete the application.

Applications from a legal guardian

If you're not the child's birth parent, you must provide proof that you’re the child’s legal guardian.

You must also provide one of the following:

  • Proof that the parents can't be located
  • Proof that the parents have died, or
  • A court order instructing us to change the child's name without the parents' consent.

You may have to provide additional documents. Contact us for more advice.

Applications from a permanent carer

If you're not the child's birth parent, you must provide:

  • Proof that you’re the child’s permanent carer.
  • A certified copy of the permanent care order:

You may have to provide additional documents. Contact us for more advice.

Get a certificate

Get a certificate when you change your child’s name

When you change your child’s name, you get a new birth certificate. It shows your child’s: 

  • New name
  • Name at birth.

The back of the certificate shows a history of the changes.

The certificate is valid for all legal and official purposes. You will need this certificate to update your child’s identity documents, such as their passport.

Get a certificate later

You can order another certificate later – for example, if you lost it and need a replacement.

Order a new birth certificate (External link)

Timeframes and delivery

How long will it take?

Estimated time from when we receive a complete application with proof of identity:

Delivery method Standard service
Click and collect
595 Collins St, Melbourne
20 days
Australia Post
Registered post
26 days

Track the progress of your certificate (External link)

Delivery of multiple copies

If you order more than one copy of a certificate, how we package them depends on the postage method:

  • Standard post – for security, we post each certificate separately
  • Registered or Express Post – we post them together.

We'll post them all on the same day, but Australia Post may deliver them on different days.

Fees and payment

Change of name and certificate fees

20 days



  • Change of name
  • Certificate
  • No extra processing fee

* Allow extra time if you choose to receive your certificate by post.

* Additional postage costs apply (see below). 

These fees are non-refundable except as set out in our Refunds page.

Postage fees

We cannot refund shipping fees if you decide to collect your certificate(s) in person.

Australia Price

Click and collect
595 Collins St, Melbourne


Registered post (recommended)
Online tracking and compensation for loss or damage up to $100


Express post
Faster delivery

Standard post $1.00
Airmail $3.80
Express Courier International $54.10

See Australia Post (External link) for more postage details.

Payment methods

Check the Payment methods we accept

After the change

After you’ve changed your child’s name

Update documents

Once your child's name has been changed, you must update all your child's identity documents and records with their new name. These may include:

  • Passport
  • Bank account
  • School enrolment 
  • Visa travel documents.

Changing your name again

You should not change your child’s legal name lightly. Your child’s name can be changed only once in a 12 month period and 3 times in their lifetime.

If you want to change your child’s name again, you will need to prove they have been using this name for at least 12 months.