Births Deaths and Marriages cannot predict or control who will be offered online verification.
On this page:
How to complete online proof of identity - Enter details from your identity documents and answer questions about yourself
I’m having trouble verifying my details. What should I do? - Carefully check the details you’re entering
I’m not sure if it verified me - An onscreen message will say your verification was successful, cancelled or unsuccessful
It couldn’t verify me. What do I do? - You must provide identity documents
It verified me. What next? - You don’t need to provide any identity documents. We’ll process your application.
- Select the option to prove your identity online (if offered, it will appear straight after payment)
- Enter details exactly as they appear on 2 identity documents. The system checks if your documents are current. Documents you can use:
- Australian driver licence
- Medicare card
- Answer a set of questions that only you should know. This confirms you are who you say you are. Your answers are compared with information held in multiple third-party data sources.
Try the following:
- Check that the name, document number, date of birth and any other details you enter exactly match how they appear on the document. For example, if the document shows the first initial of your middle name, be sure to enter only the initial.
- Check the expiry date. If you’ve received a new document, you may need to use the most current version.
- Check if your ID is cancelled, inactive or invalid. Your documents must be current.
After you exit the online proof of identity service, the Order completion screen will display a message saying online verification was:
- Cancelled: You can try again from the My items main screen.
- Unsuccessful: It did not verify you, but you can try again from the My items You can try three times in total.
- Successful: You were verified and have completed all proof of identity requirements. You may receive emails from us prompting you to prove your identity. These are automatically generated messages – you don’t need to do anything further.
You must provide identity documents.
If you see a message on the Order completion screen saying your identity was verified, then you have completed all proof of identity requirements. You don’t need to provide identity documents.
We will now assess your application. For more information, see What happens next.